A while back I had been blogging daily about what I do, but had found that I seemed to then gravitate towards tasks that I could accomplish easily and then write about at the end of the day.
Instead, I'm going to occasionally write about some things I'm working on. This will include work-related things as well as tasks and projects related to the Masters in Education that I'm hoping to have completed by April 2016.
One of the bigger work-related projects I'm working on these days is open data. We are working on getting some of our data on Strathcona County's Open Data Portal, as well as taking data that we already release and posting it in a more accessible format. We are also interested in getting teachers and students utilizing open data. As I write this, International Open Data Day is coming up soon.
On a somewhat-related note, we're also looking at Open Badges to highlight professional learning among staff in EIPS.
In terms of ongoing work in EIPS, I wrote up a list the other day of things we are often talking to staff about these days.
- Online learning platforms (Google Apps, Classroom, Moodle, etc.)
- Assessment using digital tools (including plagiarism prevention)
- Digital citizenship (mostly safety, ethics, literacy)
- Educational uses for video games (e.g. Minecraft, Bridge Constructor)
- Digital signage for hallways (digitalsignage.com and risevision.com)
- Live video streaming to YouTube
- Podcasting (e.g. school announcements)
- 2D and 3D design and printing (or other computer-controlled tools)
- Getting students building/programming "Internet of Things" and data collection tools
- How to encourage design thinking and computational thinking
And a few things on my to do list at work:
And a little Python script I wrote today to translate addresses into latitude and longitude coordinates:
Hopefully next time I'll write about some course-related things that are in progress.